Friday, 15 February 2013

Sacrilege (UK) The Essentials!


Ok so Sacrilege music is not exactly rare or that hard to find for downloading but this band are very close to my heart so here's my Sacrilege story..... Back in the mid 80's when I was first getting serious about punk/hardcore my best friend at the time had been originally kinda mentoring me in punk but when i started to absorb it all like a sponge and gain as much knowledge and records as him we began to get a bit more precious and jealous about about sharing our discoveries and were always trying to one up the other with something new and he was always better at finding the good stuff than i was and refusing to tape them for me or loan them to me either! Anyways one day in 1985 or so I was in my local record shop and I found a compilation album on Conflict's Mortarhate records called "We won't be your fucking poor" a dbl album, I opened it up in the shop to have a look and because of the amazing graphics and the crazy amount of bands on there plus the Conflict connection i rapidly bought it. When i got home and put it on I had been expecting some crazy anarcho thrash (we were all about the faster! louder! back then) but anyone who knows this comp will know theres a little of that on there but there's also what I now know as totally classic anarcho punk and experimental music as well which was NOT what i had wanted as a 14 year old after the fastest loudest stuff i could get my hands on! Having blown my pocket money for the week i was a little bit gutted to say the least! Anyway seeing as it was new i had to give it a listen and as i progressed through the album there were however 4 tracks on that album that utterly changed my life musically the 4 tracks were by Diatribe, Dirge, Oi Polloi & Sacrilege! When i got to the Sacrilege track it just burst out my speakers slapped me around and was done in like 2 mins! During the course of the next couple of years before they went a bit more metal and a bit less Punk i was in constant contact with them by mail they kindly did me copies of their demos kept me up to date sent me flyers and news etc anyway these tapes etc all got lost in the mists of time but their music meant so much to me at the time not just because it was amazing music but after playing my aforementioned friend the Sacrilege track his jaw hit the floor because i discovered them and therefore they were MY band and when i got the demos and later the album it always stuck in his throat that i'd beat him to them and he was always trying to snag the tapes and the record off me! hey we were just kids barely in our teens it was all good fun and we are still friends to this day some 30 years later!

Anyway in the modern age of internet and CD there have been many Sacrilege bootlegs of the demos and albums but there are only 2 releases approved by some of the band (I believe vocalist Tam and guitarist Damian have never approved anything released after the band split up) and those are the double CD "Reaping the Demo(n)s" and the reissue of  "Within The Prophecy/Behind the Realms..." so as the title of this post says I'm giving you the essentials here, this is all the Sacrilege you will ever need ripped from the mentioned CD's and uploaded at 320kbps for maximum effect! I've put up The First 2 Demos Pre- "Behind The Realms..." plus "Behind the realms..." itself  which has a bonus dub mix of "Violation Of Something Sacred", The 2nd album "Within The Prophecy" and My own take on their 3rd and 4th demos, those 3rd and 4th demos basically contain all the tracks that were used on "Within..." in raw demo form so i re-arranged and retagged them so they are in the same order as the actual album so you can listen to both versions and decide which you prefer because on some of the demo tracks Tam's vocals are much rawer than the album versions which i personally prefer to her more melodic style so you have "Within..." the actual album and "Within..." the demo version which contains the bonus track "Insurrection" which was later re-recorded at the "Prophecy" session and used on Vol III of the infamous Music For Nations comp series "Speed  Kills" (I don't have this version to share however there is a video of this vastly different version on youtube) So there ya go hope I didn't bore you with my old man's tales of past glories? I questioned if i should put these up as they are so easy to find but i remember before i tracked down the CD's i had downloads of them off the net and they were SHIT quality so being the stickler for the best quality I decided that there should be a decent tribute to their amazing and highly influential music somewhere on the web! As the CD's are fairly hard to come by and the Albums CD is often expensive! If anyone reading this is unfamiliar with Sacrilege then i suggest you get going and download these right now these guys were way ahead of their time and have influenced so many "Crust" type bands it's unbelievable in fact i think MANY bands would not even exist without Sacrilege and i certainly Think that Tam was a huge influence on getting more women fronting Heavy bands! Certainly something well worthwhile!

DEMO 1Mediafire

DEMO 2Mediafire

Behind The Realms..  - Mediafire

Prophecy( Demos)Mediafire

Within The Prophecy (Album)Mediafire


6 comments:

  1. Nice rip of the re-issue of their albums. Does make me wonder what source material they used when pressing the cd. The Behind The Realms Of Madness material seems to contain some vinyl noise. Makes me wonder if the master tapes weren't available. This noise seems to be present in every rip I have heard of it aswell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kris, Can't say I've noticed but my ears are pretty fucked! i doubt masters would be available as Sacrilege actually had to record the album twice because after the first session some dumbass at the studio erased the tape so they had to give them another session free of charge and i would guess the D.I.Y. shoestring nature of C.O.R. records at the time would have allowed them to purchase the masters, sounds pretty decent though. Thanks for your comment and checking out the blog,

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thansk ! Behind...is soon out on vinyl directly from the band...remastered w/extras..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Richard yeah I know about Behind... remastered with some bonuses on double 10" I am friends with Damian on facebook and he keeps me up to date have you seen the video for "Dig Your Own Grave" Live in the studio 2015?? AMAZING!!!!

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  4. hey - glad you appriciate good music! i did the cover artwork for the first 12"" - also remember spraying that backdrop behind the band in that pic above!

    ReplyDelete