Thursday, 9 January 2014

DROPDEAD


DROPDEAD maaan what can be said about this great Providence, Rhode Island band? With a near 23 year career in dishing out some of the most intense tight and just insane high speed political hardcore you'd think there'd be a lot i could tell you unfortunately there is not, I first came across these around 1992 through a friend of mine (Cheers Leo Federici) he had their split 8" with Australia's Rupture and their debut EP having just sorta came down from the Grind/Death metal frenzy of 86 - 90  I hadn't been listening to anything super fast or heavy for a while but I remember being impressed with DROPDEAD when he played them to me they were playing a kinda Hybrid of the British political hardcore bands like Doom and obviously they had Scandinavian and Japanese hardcore influences as well but it was the insane high speed of this band that blew my mind! Now, I want to digress a bit here.....

...There are bands that play Grindcore that are super fast and there are bands from various hardcore scenes that play just as fast but whether through different technique or whatever there is a BIG difference whilst DROPDEAD may be easily as fast as the best of grind bands when they hit the accelerator they are by far NOT a grind band. I'm a drummer and I can't get my head round it but listen yourself and you'll see what i mean maybe it's the use of the high hat when playing fast more than using the ride cymbal that makes it sound the way it does?? anyway digression over....

So back to DROPDEAD  so i had some tapes from my aforementioned friend which I did listen to but kinda got neglected as I said i was dead with the whole noisy music thing at the time I was in my early 20's and off on other musical paths by then and I didn't get round to them again till around 1999 which was well after their 2nd album came out this was when I got really into em! The other thing that sets these apart is the raw screaming vocals of Bob Otis which against the backdrop of insane thrash they play gives them a totally unique sound unlike any other band, when you hear DROPDEAD you know it's them NO question, on a side note I have always found it hard to equate the screaming vocals with the man himself because the vocal style he has does not look like it comes from the fucking big burly tough looking bastard that is Bob DROPDEAD see for yourself....

BOB OTIS (DROPDEAD)

It's really hard to describe their sound so I'll just re-iterate Raw Scandinavian hardcore style guitars, distorted gnarly sounding bass, D-beats and Fast Blasts topped with sick nasty vocals! There ya go!!! That's as good as I can do!

So here i present with you a pretty intensive lot of links so let's begin, First up we have "Demo's And Live" this was released  in 1991 and was the first DROPDEAD to be heard, the version I present here was an officially released cassette that contains their 1st demo, 2nd demo and a live set from 1993 recorded at WMFU radio, this is a 192kbps net find as it has never been released other than on cassette these early recordings aren't amazing quality but far from unlistenable but the raw nature of DROPDEAD music doesn't lend itself to sparkling quality recording especially at this early stage! Next up is their "Discography" CD which when released in 1994 rounded up all their EP releases they had done prior their 1st album it contains their Debut EP, The Split 8" With Rupture, The split EP with Crossed Out plus a couple unreleased tracks and comp tracks ripped from my CD at 320kbps. Next up is their debut album named "落とす死" or more commonly referred to as "DROPDEAD 1st" now excessive as it may seem I present 2 versions of this here, firstly there is the link "1st Album (Original)" This is the version that was released on Selfless Records in 1993 however the band were never satisfied with the sound of the finished product and got ripped off badly by the label so they re-issued this album on their own Armageddon Label this is the
"1st album (2002 Rough Mix)" link as the band preferred the rough mix to the finished product, however here's something you need to know about these links the "Original" mix is separated into it's 34 original tracks and is a very good quality 320kbps vinyl rip however the Armageddon release has just 2 tracks effectively the A and B sides of the album no track separation whilst this is a small niggle i find it very annoying that you can't skip through tracks and you have to listen to the sections on the reissue as a whole "side" that is why I have put up both versions here also so you can decide yourself which mix is better also the 2002 reissue is ripped from my own CD again at 320kbps. Next up we have some more Live stuff for you firstly is the "Drop On The Bootleg" mini CD recorded live in Hiroshima Japan 1996 this is a CD rip but not mine so it's 192kbps and a little quiet however the quality is fine you just need to turn it up. 16 tracks in 15 mins and utterly ripping, then I have given you " Humanity Is Burying The Earth With Its Rotting Carcasses... " an official live tape of a set they played in Finland in 1997 this is a better live set I think as it's got 23 tracks and is a bit louder and more raw sounding than "Drop On...." comes in 320kbps as well. So being gits for never naming their records next link is "2nd Album" this is indeed their 2nd studio album from 1998 and this is prob my favourite of the DROPDEAD releases as though it is just as raw and blown out as all the others I just love the intensity of the production especially the guitar sound which now is riding that amazing mid 80's Scandinavian hardcore sound to perfection but with more muscle!!!  There's still plenty of speed on this album however it has been tempered more and seems to be less out of control not that they weren't always super tight as that's one of the things that makes them so good that they are so fucking on the nail even when going at light speed just this time round there's a little less blast and a bit more variety of pace. This is a fucking great album and my personal pick of the bunch if you only download one link make it this one! from Vinyl rip at 320kbps and great quality. So onto my last link "Splits"... in the 13 years since the 2nd album DROPDEAD releases have been few and far between to say the least there has been no new DROPDEAD releases purely on their own however there have been 5 x Split EP's with other bands between 2002 and 2013 and combined there are a total of 22 new tracks which is effectively an albums worth of material even if it has been recorded at different times over a period of 11 years! So in this file you have the DROPDEAD split EP's with Totalitar (6 Tracks 2002), Unholy Grave (5 Tracks 2003) Look Back And Laugh (6 Tracks 2004), Converge (1 Track 2011), Ruidosa Inmundicia (2 Tracks 2013) and finally and most recently Systematic Death (2 Tracks 2013) these are all in the one folder but in seperate folders for each release and though there's not a great deal of progression that could be made with a sound like DROPDEAD have there's no let up in the intensity of this band however as these releases progress you can find that after the split with Look Back And Laugh that they have slowed a little and maybe not quite the brutal band they were and both the splits from 2013 the vocals have changed a lot whether after 21 years Bob could scream no more or if it's a conscious change I don't know but believe me none of what I've said there is criticism there's more intensity, invention and great playing in one side of a 7" by DROPDEAD than a lot of bands are likely to have in their whole existence whether they put 6 songs on there or just 1!

So that's it folks there you have it the DROPDEAD discography in it's entirety and a fine discography it is I did want to mention that their discography from the 1st demos up to the 2nd album contain numerous repeats of songs (for example the song "Unjustified Murder" appears on the demo, the discography LP, the 1st LP and both Live releases!!!)  however this does not mean they are identical they must have reasons for re-recording their songs but if you want my advice if you are new to DROPDEAD all you need really is either (or Both) The 1st album and the Discography LP and also the "2nd Album" that's really all the DROPDEAD you need if you like those come back for the Splits file, however this post is for the diehards as well as the newcomers so that's why i decided to post everything regardless of repeats and also because I had a fuck of a time trying to get hold of DROPDEAD stuff to download it was all atrocious quality and due to the fact that they are primarily a vinyl band their CD's are REALLY hard to come by I gave up trying to find good quality online and ended up buying the "Discography" CD and "1st Album" direct from Bob at Armageddon and even at his fair pricing it still cost me £22 (approx $40) with postage etc for those! So to remedy that here is the BEST quality DROPDEAD releases you will find online believe me i have tried and tried to find decent quality online it does not exist (until now) so I do this so you don't have to! Here you go.....

Demos & Livemediafire

1st Album (Original) - mediafire

1st Album (2002 Rough Mix) -mediafire

Drop On The Bootlegmediafire

2nd Albummediafire

Humanity... (Live)mediafire

Discographymediafire

Splitsmediafire

11 comments:

  1. Great post, awesome write up as usual.This band is insane, the Hostile 7' is mindblowing.
    The late 80's/early 90's had some great hardcore (Ulcer, Crossed Out, INFEST), it's a shame its not talked about often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tyler glad to see your back at the blog yeah DROPDEAD are a great band I have wanted to do this post for a while but I didn't have a good enough copy of their 2nd album, I was never too keen on Crossed Out or Ulcer however INFEST is another matter I have uploaded their entire discography their post is coming next! very prophetic of you! How's life in merseyside?

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
    2. Ha, I'll be looking forward to your write up on INFEST. Life in Merseyside is a lot different, that's for sure. I'm kicking myself that I didn't hear about a few gigs a bit earlier though. Are you still filling-in on drums for Skitvarld?

      Delete
    3. no not playing with skitvarld now mid their drummer is healed but i did get up for one song (a mellakka cover) at the recent unrest/auralskit/skitvarld/people gig on the 2nd! Yeah infest write up/post will be done soon, look me up and add me on facebook or ssend me your email adress or sommat tyler and I'll keep you up to date about any local gigs etc coming up ok?

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, good blog man. All those tracks are now on Bandcamp with high quality download, and we're working on reissuing everything, remastered, early next year including Vol 2 of the discography which will have a bunch of unreleased stuff on it, and a better mix or the Hostile EP.
    Ben/DD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks once again Ben, firstly for not making me take this post down and secondly for alerting me to the remasters I'll definitely be picking them up, I am glad you have no objections to this as I feel the non-vinyl folks are really missing out on something as the CD versions are hard to come by! thanks for the comment and glad you like the blog,

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  4. Just read quite a lot of posts on your blog, and downloaded some stuff as well. Great writing!! Thanks a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post dave, very complete. speaking of dropdead, hows about doing a siege post? the lost session 91 ep in particular is fucking impossible to find either on line or a physical coppy where i am. thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Elliott I did a massive Boston H/C post WAY back but unfortunately I lost that post along with over half my blog work when 4shared shut me down!!! I don't really want to do another post on SIEGE however..... I couldn't get a download of the Siege either I didn't even know it existed till you commented (Thanks!!!) however all 4 songs are on youtube so I have ripped them from their and assembled them into the EP with cover etc the bitrate is good so here's a link

      Lost Session '91 -

      http://www.mediafire.com/download/hb7419b11h7z1q2/SGE91.rar

      And I figured I might as well give you the rest just in case so here's "Drop Dead" demo & "Cleanse The Bacteria" Comp Tracks as well! So here's your link to those

      http://www.mediafire.com/download/py2r9ckb9mzvj16/SGE84.rar

      Hope that's helpful and thanks for your comment as I said would never known about the Seige lost session otherwise!

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      P.S. yoiu will have to copy and paste those links OK?

      Delete
    2. Just had a listen to the Lost Session '91 it's poor quality but i think that's how it is as i listened to the one song on Patac Records bandcamp and it sounds the same as my youtube rip, i think it's fairly crap and Seth Putnam ruins it with his vocals anyway I reckon it shoulda stayed lost in 91 just my opinion and a heads up Elliott,

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete