Saturday, 18 October 2014

BAPTISTS (UPDATED)




Ok so I have opened this blog to requests many times and hardly anyone asks or if they do they generally out-obscure me and I can't fulfill the request this time I can actually honor it!

An anonymous reader commented on my Obliterations post  (HERE) Thanking me for posting them and saying hopefully I would post a discography by Baptists soon well my anonymous user your wish is my command!!!

Vancouver Canada's Baptists are a kinda new band they have been around since 2009 they have released an EP and more recently an album "Bushcraft" last year on the home of most of the great heavy shit i listen to at the moment Southern Lord records. I have no idea how i got onto Baptists I do know however that it's only been a matter of weeks since i did and i have played them quite a few times since discovering them, their loud, heavy hardcore certainly does strike a chord with me! I dunno what they are doing up there in Canada but Baptists are another band from there peddling some great heavy music!

Baptists have a really good sound Thick heavy guitar battles with barreling drums and good vocals that are kinda shouty kinda screamy and work really well with the music! Suffice to say these guys are not re-inventing the hardcore wheel here but they have enough passion,conviction, originality and talent to make me sit up and take notice and even though this has been a requested post they were on the backburner for inclusion on here anyway so the request just hurried me up a little. If you are a fan of any of the other hardcore/punk stuff that Southern Lord have been issuing of late then these guys are for you and certainly among the best of them.

So below you will find a links to the "Baptists" EP and the "Bushcraft" album (I haven't been able to source their rare 2009 Demo at all but if anyone can link me to it please DO comment) the bitrates aren't 320kbps but the album is in the high 200's and "Baptists" EP is 192kbps but all of it is great quality otherwise i would not have posted it for you.

So there you have it when you have been listening to hardcore as long as i have you generally find that there's very little that comes along that truly stand outs it's a generic musical format really however now and again you get a band like Baptists that whilst bearing some of the trademarks of the style really bring something fresh to it! Go check it out for yourself and see why these guys are making some serious waves right now! Absolutely RAGING stuff.



*UPDATE* So Baptists just released a new album called "Bloodmines" If you have read the rest of this post then you should have an idea what they sound like however this new album shows some real progression for a start it's faster than the last one but also there are some different touches here and there and the title track sounds like a more hardcore Shellac! The fast songs are ferocious and put me in mind of fellow Canadians Cursed (R.I.P. see my post on them HERE ) so much so i did some research to see if any ex members of Cursed were in the band!!! These guys are really progressive and this album shows it managing to add originality and a fresh approach to their intense heavy sound and that's why so many people are showing an interest in them i would say so just to be Johnny-on-the-spot here's your link to freshly released album "Bloodmines" defo one of my picks for best of 2014!

Baptists -EP - Mediafire

Baptists - Bushcraft - Mediafire

Baptists - BloodminesMediafire

Please note that I have updated this post again as an astute reader pointed out to me that the "Black Dawn" EP was actually the UK baptists not the Canadian so I have now separated the links for the 2 albums and the EP into their 3 separate releases! A stupid mistake but to be fair they were a new band to me  and this post was originally put up in a rush to fulfill a request! Thanks to the reader for letting me know and just goes to show that it's better to do your OWN research.

7 comments:

  1. Hi,

    u make great job by spreading the word of those band by Black Dawn Ep was recorded by Baptists...from Norwich UK. They disbanded soon after EP. Correct me if Im wrong. I wish they could play at Temples Festival in Bristol. Greetings from Poland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are quite correct sir i tip my hat to you, in my defence I've only been into baptists for about a month maybe 6 weeks and they were requested so i kinda rushed the post but that is no excuse for such an error i shall be more careful in future! The post has been re-done and "Black Dawn" has been removed, Thanks for letting me know,

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  2. Ill throw out some requests. Bastard of the skies. Warcrab. Grieved. Hellshock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous... Of those I can do hellshock never heard of the other 3 I'm afraid i shall get onto that asap.

      Thanks,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  3. Bastard of the skies and warcrab are some excellent uk sludge. Grieved is kind of like cursed. From finland or maybe sweden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the rips, couldn't get my hand on them anywhere, awesome job, great band. Keep on rocking

    ReplyDelete