Saturday 16 February 2013

Fugazi - RARE????


So another band that are very close to my heart and a music blog by me would not be complete without something by these guys! "But What?..." I hear you cry "We've all done the albums to death they are all over the net they even sell all their live gigs online so what could you possibly post that would interest us the typically jaded Fugazi fan eh Dave? ???" HA! well.... good question there isn't really much Fugazi that could be called Rare eh? but..... you may be surprised to hear this Fugazi having been a very self contained highly efficient well oiled machine  but before recording "In On The Killtaker" in Fugazi business as usual style they decided to try some outside production and who's services would they aquire for this awesome task but the mighty fucking collossus (at least musically speaking)  that is Steve Albini! Yep that's right folks according to the good ol' net in 1993 Fugazi recorded pretty much half of "In On The Killtaker" with Albini at the controls. Fugazi's reasons for not releasing the Albini version or pursuing the whole album with him are their own, tho I find it in one way a strange pairing and in another way a perfect one certainly in my mind the mix of those 2 elements is the musical equivalent of someones football dream team to me! So... when i heard about this I thought nah bogus internet bollocks but i actually managed to download the recording and it is definitely not the versions of these songs that were actually released on the album whether the below file is Fugazi recorded by Albini I've only got the internet's word for it and i'm sure some fucking Fugazi nerd will push his glasses up his nose and begin to shoot me down in flames with a "Actually i think you'll find...." but download it and judge for yourself it certainly sounds like Albini's hand in there to me and I'm a big fan of his work both musically and behind the mixing desk but what do I know? Judge for yourself.  And if that mighty file was not enough for you just to show you what a nice guy I am you will also find the one and only never officially released Fugazi John Peel Session from 1988 right underneath the Albini link! Go forth my friends and enjoy some prime quality Fugazi at their best!!
I'd like to add i was lucky enough to see Fugazi twice once in 87 in Glasgow and again in 2001 in Manchester The first time in 87 was probably one of the best gigs i have ever seen it was before "Repeater" and many songs off that were debuted but the highlight of the night was their version of  "Suggestion" during which they invited any women from the crowd to come up on the stage, take the mic and share their experiences and opinions on the subject matter of the song I watched this from the side of the stage and some of the horrific stories told combined with Fugazi's gentle improvisation behind them well i have to admit i had tears in my eyes! not many bands are as unique or truly special as Fugazi and we are definitely poorer in our culture for their absence.

Albini DemoMediafire

Peel SessionMediafire


7 comments:

  1. FYI: That peel session was in 1988, not 1985.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where did you read 1985? thanks for the heads up but it says 1988 in my write up above did you possibly misread?? I've been a fan of fugazi since first EP came out so i know they wouldn't have been going in 1985.

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
    2. A different anonymous person here, just letting you know I think he was referring to the actual .rar file, it's labelled as "Peel 85".

      Delete
    3. noted anonymous thanks for that dunno how that happened!!!

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  2. I saw Fugazi in 95 in Manchester and they were absolutely amazing live, they played like their lives depended on it. I am now lucky enough to own the recording of that gig thanks to the Fugazi Live series which is a fantastic project. Perhaps the gigs you attended are available there Dave if you haven't got them already?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey NeutronBomb, Thanks for the comment and also the reminder i have been popping back to Fugazi Live Series every so often to check out whats available, Firstly the Glasgow 1987 show i was at that i reference they have only 1 song recorded for some reason it's good that it is the song "Suggestion" that i mention in my blurb however the last few times i have been back to their site they hadn't posted up the Manchester show i attended but after I saw your comment it reminded me to go check and they had put it up!!! Brilliant and it's a superb quality show! so thanks very much for jogging my terrible memory! Yeah i have to agree both times i saw fugazi they played like it was the end of the world and they were the last band playing! Phenomenal and sorely missed band! Thanks Very much for your comment.

      Cheers,

      Dave B.

      Delete
  3. One of the best blog sites I've ever come across .
    Awesome express links [ no redirect to other sites and loooong wait ]
    As I said earlier you ROCK !!!!!!!!!!Dave :)

    ReplyDelete